Root canal treatment is an important technique employed by dentists to save valuable teeth by avoiding extractions. Most of the patients have concerns that root canal treatment will be painful, but new, modern technologies and anesthesia choices have made root canals into a pain-free procedure.
What is a root canal?
A root canal is done to eradicate the inflamed and infected pulp from the inside of a tooth. The interior of the tooth is then meticulously disinfected and cleaned after the pulp is removed. The treated tooth is then sealed with a unique rubbery material called gutta-percha. To make it easier for the patient to chew and bite, a restorative appliance such as a crown is used to strengthen the tooth which has been treated. The whole process is executed under anesthesia so that the patients stay calm and relaxed. After it’s completed, the patient can go about their regular routine.
What are the principal benefits of a Root Canal?
- Prevents Tooth Loss:There are several ways of dealing with a tooth that has severe decay or a cavity. Some patients opt for tooth extraction in order to get rid of the pain. However, tooth extraction can create gaps between teeth which may cause other problems. A root canal will help the patients avoid losing their teeth, and as a result, the natural arrangement of your teeth is preserved.
- Prevents Infection of Adjacent Teeth:The infection of the tooth’s pulp occurs due to the growth of bacteria in that region. The bacteria of the infected pulp may quickly spread to adjacent teeth if not removed. Hence a root canal becomes necessary to remove the infected pulp to prevent the growth and spread of these bacteria.
- Improves Teeth Aesthetics:A root canal involves removing the tooth’s infected pulp and is followed up with the cleaning of the affected area and filling up the cavity with a medicated material, and ultimately securing the tooth with a crown. Crowns help in reinstating the visual appeal of teeth.
- Prevents Jawbone Deterioration:Unlike tooth extraction, a root canal leaves the infected tooth in one piece. When a tooth is missing, the jawbone quickly deteriorates over time due to bacteria exposure and other features. Thus, a root canal treatment can help avert the jawbone disintegration.
- Boosts Oral and Overall Health: Tooth decay, tooth loss, and recurring pain are common dental complaints among individuals. A root canal can help avoid unnecessary procedures such as an implant or extractions. Apart from maintaining good oral health, a root canal can help keep the teeth in good condition besides retaining an individual’s overall health.
- It is a Near Painless Procedure: A root canal is a comfortable and almost painless procedure, and not like the other dental procedures such as root extraction.
Call us at Madrid Dental or schedule an online appointment to know more about Root Canals.