When a person loses a tooth due to extraction, trauma, or cavities, you will be left with a bone and an empty socket. The portion of the bone surrounding your tooth will begin to deteriorate and weaken. Over time if you don't have anything to support the bone, it will gradually decrease in size and lose its overall density. This disintegration of the jawbone will possibly lead to an assortment of problems. In order to avoid this problem, you can have dental implants fitted in to strengthen the jaw area and support the missing tooth replacement.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are replacement tooth roots that help provide a strong foundation for permanent or removable replacement teeth and are prepared to match your natural teeth. The implant consists of a ceramic crown and a titanium root resembling a natural tooth. The dentist inserts these implants in a patient's jawbone to fill the void left by the missing tooth, thereby restoring the look, feel, and function of the natural tooth.
What is the procedure included in getting dental implants?
The procedure for the dental implant begins after several consultations over a period of time. Before carrying out the actual process of implantation, factors such as jawbone size, diabetes, blood pressure, and overall health of the patient will be taken into consideration. A few x-rays and scans of the patient's mouth will be taken to prepare the crown and support the doctor in preparing the surgery.
The dentist will first numb the teeth by using local anesthesia. A small hole is made in the jawbone in place of the missing tooth, and the implant will be inserted in it. The implant is secured firmly with dental cement. A significant amount of healing time is allowed so that the jawbone will grow around the implant's grooves and the gums partially cover the titanium stud.
The next stage involves the dentist fitting the crown on the implant and is tested for a perfect fit. If necessary, the required changes will be done before bonding it permanently using dental adhesives. A bite test is conducted, and the implant crown will be polished.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Dental implants are in huge demand because of their strength and durability.
- The implants help bring back the original function of the natural teeth.
- A successful implant will provide an agreeable and natural-looking tooth that blends in with the surrounding teeth and enhances your smile's aesthetics.
- Implants provide excellent strength and stability as they are fixed in the jawbone.
- The ceramic crown may only wear as much as the natural enamel, which is insignificant.
- The implants do not require any extra care other than regular brushing and flossing daily.
Call us at Madrid Dental or schedule an online appointment to know more about Dental Implants.